Nearby is the Torre del Conde, a 15th century Castilian fortress that, over the years, has become the representative monument of the island. It tells the story that from here it was from where Christopher Columbus left for the New World.
The watchtower stands on a large green and open area, the Parque de la Torre del Conde, surrounded by mountains, palm trees and gardens, making it an excellent place to relax on an island that if for anything is characterized by that, being a paradise for disconnection.
Built in brick between 1445 and 1450, this military-style fortress was quite simple, as its mission was to repel the attacks of the island’s aborigines, lacking modern weaponry.
It is the parish of San Sebastián de La Gomera. It dates from the 15th century, although it was enlarged several times due to English and North African pirates attacks. Currently, the church is constituted by three naves.
The original part is Gothic, but has been mixed with different styles over the years, among which stand out the Mudejar and Baroque. On the outside, the temple has a white facade of Portuguese origin (Manueline style), with a central body made of red tuff and two gates on the sides surrounded by white stone. We also find a stone bell tower.
Its interior is notable for its simplicity, which reflects the humility of the Colombian people in its different reforms.
This lighthouse is located ante the Punta de San Cristobal. It began be built in 1900 and was completed in 1903. It has a height of 15 metres.
The old lighthouse of San Cristóbal was built in the eastern part of the island of La Gomera. The house that accompanies it, white with masonry details, has a single rectangular floor with everything you need to live.
The rocks used in the corners of the building, as well as in the finishes of the doors and windows, are of volcanic origin. The lighthouse tower attached to the house, built in the closest part to the ravine, is white and not more than 10 meters high.
The new lighthouse, built in 1978, is a few meters from the previous one. This second white cylindrical tower with a red strip has a height of 15 meters and is managed by the Port Authority of the province of Santa Cruz de Tenerife.
This house from the Canary Islands is one of the most important buildings in San Sebastián de La Gomera. It was built in the 17th century and, inside, you can visit a permanent exhibition on pre-Columbian sculpture.
History tells this was one of the last places Christopher Columbus spent the night, and had affairs, before his journey to the discovery of America.